Over the past year, we have seen an overwhelming increase in the number of people accessing food banks in Toronto. Through unprecedented crises, the incredible staff and volunteers across our networks have worked hard to ensure that people have had continued access to food.
From May 18-20, 2021, Daily Bread Food Bank and North York Harvest hosted the Celebrating Resilience Conference as a way to recognize and show our appreciation for the efforts of our Member Agencies, and hold space for the complexity and diversity of experiences across the city.
“Post pandemic 150 million people are estimated to be pushed in to extreme poverty around the world; while unemployment declines for the top 25%. That is the nature of the divide, and you are at the front lines of seeing this as we’ve seen both homelessness and food insecurity rise dramatically due to COVID-19” – CNN host, Fareed Zakaria
Speakers and performers including Mayor John Tory, Polaris Prize winner Jeremy Dutcher, CNN host Fareed Zakaria, Scarborough’s Walk of Fame Farley Flex, Chris Leonard, and insightful panelists came together to acknowledge the hard work being done in our communities to achieve everyone’s right to food and provide hope as we continue adapting and working through this crisis.
We would like to extend our deepest gratitude to all of our speakers, for holding conversations to celebrate, honour, and process this past year of constant adaptation, and grief, and the resiliency of those running food programs.
Check out the conference highlights below!
For more information and access to the full sessions:
- Holding Space for Grief while Resourcing Ourselves, with Chris Leonard (00:58:00)
Watch this interactive virtual space where Chris Leonard guides us to unpack and process the hard work and effects of the last year.
- Achieving the Right to Food in Canada, a Panel Discussion (1:27:00)
Watch this panel discussion moderated by Talia Bronstein, VP, Research and Advocacy at Daily Bread Food Bank. Panelists include:
- Garima Talwar Kapoor, Director of Policy and Research, Maytree
- Mustafa Koc, Associate Director, Centre for Studies in Food Security
- Nadia Lambek, Human Rights Lawyer & Chair, Canadian Association for Food Law and Policy
- Melana Roberts, Member of Canadian Food Policy Advisory Council & Food Justice Advocate
- Closing Keynote: Fareed Zakaria (00:32:00)
Watch as CNN’s Fareed Zakaria speaks about food insecurity from a global perspective and its interplay with human rights and economics.