At Daily Bread Food Bank, our priority is the well-being of those who are food insecure, volunteers, supporters, and our staff. We are committed to being proactive and responsible in responding to the evolving COVID-19 pandemic.
We are strictly adhering to recommendations shared by Toronto Public Health experts, continuously evaluating and assessing procedures, and informing our stakeholders as needed.
In addition, we are taking the following precautionary steps:
- Limiting and monitoring entry points at 191 New Toronto Street. All visitors and staff must enter through our Welcome Centre where there will be signage in place to encourage hand-washing immediately upon entry. Hand sanitizer dispensers will also be available throughout the building.
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting measures across all public areas. Regular disinfecting of high-traffic and frequently touched surfaces.
- Visible signage throughout the building reminding people of preventative best practices such as regular handwashing, avoiding touching face (specifically eyes/nose/mouth), maintaining social distancing where possible and avoiding hand-shaking.
- Provide additional food sorting space to decrease the number of volunteers grouped together during a shift. The use of rubber gloves will be enforced while handling food.
- Ensuring access to mental health information as this is a time when clients, staff and volunteers may experience high anxiety and stress levels.
The Leadership Team is also developing next stage operational changes that could be implemented in this evolving situation. Each of those stages of change is designed to fulfill our obligation to support those most vulnerable while balancing our duty of care to those implementing the mission.
At this time, all of our programs and volunteer shifts are running as scheduled. Please visit www.dailybread.ca/covid19 for updates on programming.
If you are a volunteer and concerned about your shift, please contact our Volunteer Services team at 416-203-0050 x259.
During this time of uncertainty, we would like to thank you for your faithful support as we do everything possible towards the goal of providing uninterrupted service to those experiencing poverty. This is a challenge that we will rise to, only with your support.
CEO, Daily Bread Food Bank