The summer months are on their way and most of us have a growing list of things that we can’t wait to do! Whether your summer bucket list includes: picnics in the park, trying new recipes, or training for a half marathon, there are ways to do all of your favourite summer activities while staying safe and helping your neighbours in need.
Here are five ways you can celebrate the season while ensuring that families and children who turn to a food program during the summer months are met with the nutritious food and support they need:
- Become a Community Champion: Rally your network to donate non-perishable food items by safely collecting food from your neighbours, congregations, teams, coworkers, etc., and bringing the donations to Daily Bread Food Bank. This is a great way to stay connected to one another while physically apart, and you can even get creative with making posters and signs to put up around your neighbourhood!
- Birthday Fundraiser: While birthdays and celebrations have looked different this past year, asking your friends and family to donate to Daily Bread is a great way to honour your special day! This is especially meaningful for children’s birthdays as an opportunity to learn the value of giving back. Create a donation page directly with Daily Bread or find us on Echoage.
- Garage Sale: Whether it is online or spaced out safely on your lawn, have a garage sale and give items that you may not need anymore, a new home. Donate the proceeds of your sale to Daily Bread.
- Dedicate your marathon/bike ride: Training for a big marathon or endurance ride? Create a donation page and ask your network to sponsor you. Are leisurely activities more your thing? Arrange a group bike ride or hike and ask the participants for a minimum donation to take part. You can even insert the link to your donation page in your social media invites, to spread the word!
- Arts & Craft Activities: With so much unpredictability going on around us, coloring is a relaxing activity to help take the mind off things, especially for kids. Coloring is a great way to unplug and let go, and now kids can colour while giving back to Daily Bread! Koala Color is a website where you can download your favourites, print them out, and make a donation to Daily Bread to help kids experiencing hunger!
When your car is loaded up with non-perishable food donations and you are on your way to our warehouse, or you’ve finally run your first marathon, be sure to take a picture and tag us on social media! Find us @dailybreadto on Instagram and Twitter! #WeAreDailyBread