It’s hard to believe that the holiday season is just around the corner. This year will be unlike any other, as we create new traditions and adapt to a new reality. And, although the festivities may look different this year, we hope that the feelings of warmth and joy that come with gathering around a table for a shared meal, remain the same.
Here at Daily Bread Food Bank, we continue to work tirelessly to ensure that everyone’s right to food is realized this holiday season. Last year, over 100,000 meal servings were made at the Daily Bread kitchen and delivered to our member agencies, providing our neighbours experiencing food insecurity, the same feelings of warmth and joy around a shared meal.
We’re excited to share with you a simple stuffing casserole recipe, that is made with the same ingredients we often find in our warehouse!
- 2 small onions diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons poultry seasoning or ½ teaspoon ground sage
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- 12 cups bread cubes
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs sage, thyme, rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and poultry seasoning (and rosemary if using). Cook over medium-low until tender (do not brown), about 10-12 minutes.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Add onion mixture, parsley and fresh herbs.
- Pour broth overtop until cubes are moist (but not soggy) and gently toss. You may not need all of the broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place mixture in a serving dish, dot with additional butter and cover.
- Bake 35 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
We hope that whether you are with family, friends, or in your community this holiday season, you consider providing a warm meal, for our neighbours in need by donating today.