June marked the end of our fiscal year, and as we wrap up we can’t help but reflect on all that we have achieved and those who made our work possible throughout the year.
Toronto’s deep commitment to our mission, from facilitating food access in areas of deep need, and mobilizing entire neighbourhoods through food drive, to supporting our ongoing advocacy work, has allowed us to continue to provide uninterrupted service to the communities we serve.
In fact, we delivered more food this year than ever, with 17 million pounds of food being distributed amongst our agency network – a 32% increase from the year prior.
Below is our year in numbers:
- 16 emergency pop-up food banks opened during the first wave of COVID-19 became permanent Daily Bread member agencies.
- Daily Bread increased food purchasing by over 135% to meet the needs of the community.
- Between July 2020 and February 2021, Daily Bread distributed 62% more food than the same period the year prior.
- The Daily Bread network saw 123,000 food bank client visits in a March – the highest total recorded to-date.
- As of May, 15,000 individuals have signed a Daily Bread petition calling on the Premier of Ontario to reduce poverty in Ontario by 50% by 2030.
While the road to recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic will be difficult, especially for those experiencing food insecurity, we are grateful for everyone who has joined us in our fight against hunger.
Thank you for always showing us that we are stronger together!