At a time of year when Daily Bread Food Bank relies heavily on support from the community to meet food and fundraising goals that impact food distribution for the entire year, the difficult decision has been made to cancel our in person holiday events due to COVID-19 lockdown.
With the rapidly increasing need for food in our city – this past October, there were 110,000 client visits to Toronto food banks – families and individuals living in poverty and experiencing food insecurity will need support more than ever.
We are urgently calling on the community to support Daily Bread during this challenging time to ensure that the thousands of adults, seniors and children who rely on food banks, can continue to access the food they need.
“Although this year’s Daily Bread Holiday Food Drive will be different, the need is greater than ever. I encourage residents to support Daily Bread in their efforts to feed vulnerable residents across Toronto during the holidays,” says Mayor John Tory. “This pandemic has taught us the importance of supporting one another during tough times, and right now our fellow residents need help as they face the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Here’s how YOU can help:
• Give the gift of food by purchasing from our online store. Your symbolic gift you can provide enough food to feed a family of four or help a senior fill their cupboard.
• Make a monetary donation. This year in particular, financial donations will be important to allow us to purchase food that we will not be able to collect from our holiday public drive due to COVID-19 restrictions. For every dollar donated, we can provide one balanced meal for someone experiencing hunger.
• Set-up an online fundraiser. Bring family and friends together in the spirit of giving and set-up an online fundraiser in support of Daily Bread.
• Donate Food. Food donations can still be dropped off safely at your local grocery store or any fire hall in the city. You can also place an online order from your local grocery retailer and have it delivered directly to Daily Bread at 191 New Toronto Street, Toronto, ON, M8V 2E7.
• Advocate for systemic change to end the root cause of hunger – poverty. Connect with your local government officials to let them know that you want to see poverty and food insecurity eliminated in your community.
Thank you for your support, in ensuring everyone’s right to food this holiday season!