Daily Bread’s Take Action Project (TAP) lets you earn a lot of volunteer hours while doing a lot of good for people experiencing food insecurity in Toronto.
Though our typical onsite volunteer activities are currently suspended due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Take Action Project still offers students from grades 9 to 12 a safe and fun opportunity to support Daily Bread Food Bank this summer while earning volunteer hours!
Organize a community food drive!
Organize a community food drive to collect non-perishable food donations. For every 25 items you collect and donate to Daily Bread, you’ll earn one volunteer hour!
How does it work?
Organizing a contactless community food drive is super simple. And the team at Daily Bread is here to support you along the way. Here’s how it works:
- Register your food drive
TIP: Make sure you click the checkbox to indicate you’re interested in earning volunteer hours!
- Daily Bread will reach out within 1-2 days with a welcome email that includes detailed instructions and some tools and resources to help you run a safe and successful food drive.
TIP: If you’re eager to get started on your planning right away, you can also download our list of most-needed food items and poster template.
- Let your friends, family and neighbours know you’re organizing a food drive for Daily Bread and that you need their help!
TIP: Think about how you will collect the food. Will you pick it up directly from donors or will you ask them to drop off at a central location? Whichever option you choose, be sure to provide clear instructions and specific dates/times, and remember to follow all public health guidelines.
- Once you’ve collected all your food donations, it’s time to count them and take a photo to show off your hard work!
TIP: Lay out the food items on a flat surface and snap a photo or selfie. Be sure all the items are spread out and clearly visible so we can confirm the item count.
- Drop off the food donations at your local fire hall or participating grocery store, and take another photo to capture the moment!
TIP: You can also drop off your food donations directly at Daily Bread (191 New Toronto Street) if you’re located nearby. Remember, if you post your photos on social media make sure to tag us @dailybreadto on Instagram and Twitter!
- Email us your item count along with your two photos. Daily Bread will verify the count, assign your volunteer hours and send you a letter!
TIP: Remember that you’ll earn one volunteer hour for every 25 non-perishable food items you collect!
Pretty simple, right? Register your food drive and get started today!