In the summer months at Daily Bread Food Bank we see an abundance of fresh produce, especially zucchini through our Farm to Food Bank program!
Did you know that although zucchini is often considered a vegetable, it is botanically classified as a fruit? And, it occurs in several varieties, which range in color from deep yellow to dark green.
Zucchini is also rich in Vitamin A and C, fiber, and potassium making this summer vegetable the perfect addition to any meal.
See our nutritious and delicious Zucchini Tomato Casserole recipe below!
Want to share the meal you’ve made? Make sure to take a picture and post it on social media and tag us @DailyBreadTO!
- 2.5 lbs zucchini 2 large, cut into quarters
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp any dried herbs like basil or oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup parsley or basil finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 8 x 8 or 9 x 11 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients, except parsley/basil; stir to combine.
- Transfer to a prepared baking dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes for crunchy zucchini or 35 minutes if you like well cooked vegetables.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with basil or parsley and serve hot/warm.